Friday, January 5, 2007

Funky Manicure

WOW... I've actually started a blog. It's a new year, so why not start the year off right! Since I like to talk and I rant and rave and get on my soap box every once in a while, so I might as well put it in writing and get my creative juices flowing.

I think what got me started was I got the FUNKIEST manicure ever tonight, and I feel the need to talk about it. This is only my second manicure. The first one was in a really nice spa in Hawaii which charged an arm and a leg, and this was a huge nail place that's in the local mall that I've always walked past, was curious about, but never ventured in. Well today I gathered up my courage and stepped over the threshold of this brightly lit place with a whole bunch of Asians... somehow most nail places I've come across are run by Asians. I haven't seen a non-Asian nail place before. I've always been afraid of nail places somehow, I don't know why. I asked if I could get a manicure, and the lady up front said she had someone available. The lady who did my nails was very nice, but she had to ask me each question twice because I'd never know when she was talking to me, or talking to her neighbors in Vietnamese (I think it was Vietnamese). Again, this being the first time in a nail place like that, it was an experience. All the customers sat very quietly while the ladies chattered away. I couldn't help but smile every once in a while, it was so amusing!

First was the whole "tip" thing... she suggested doing "tips" with some flowers, and I said stupidly, "What's tips?". She had to show me. She muttered something to her neighbor, perhaps about my ignorance, but I'll never know. I told her that this was my first time getting a manicure like this, and she smiled and understood why I actually asked that question. So she went along, filed my nails, did the nail soak, but MAN did she clip and groom my cuticles like crazy! I guess I have bad cuticles. After that she did my "tips", then had to ask me (twice) which finger I wanted the flowers done on. Then she convinced me to put some glitter on my nails. I said sure... she kept saying "Very nice, very nice" whenever she suggested something.

Well. I've never seen this on anyone before. I guess that margarita at Chili's (which was very good by the way) did me in. This lady could convince me to paint my nails gold and I would have probably gone for it. As Anthony puts it, it's "interesting". I wonder how many comments, good or bad, I'm going to get. See for yourself. Of course, I've already managed to ruin one nail trying to feed the cats, but oh well. I'm going to see how long I can make the nail polish last!


2 comments:

i-act said...

cool nails!

Heather said...

I like the red tips! Very funky! I like salon pedicures but I don't do manicures much anymore, since for some reason it never goes 24 hours without a chip. :(